Saturday, February 2, 2008

Gettin' our act together and saying goodbye

It's getting down to the wire. We leave next Saturday and little by little things are coming together. All and all it's a happy time for the two of us, but last night I said goodbye to a dear friend and was feeling a bit down. Bobby McGee is what I affectionately called my home on wheels for the last 2 years. As Janis said, "From the Kin-tucky coal mines to the California sun, Bobby shared the secrets of my soul." Sandra's going to miss him too. We shared a lot of cold winter nights snuggling under the electric blanket in that spacious bed over the cab listening to the sounds of the mouse scurrying along the counter top below looking for crumbs. Bobby was also home to the biggest spider I ever saw down in Sedona. A Wolf spider as big as my hand who wanted to share my bed before I met Sandra. He moved to New Mexico with me last year and moved on to another life after he crawled up my leg as I was using the bathroom one night. Bobby never gave me a moments trouble as he hauled my Tracker behind him all over the southwest. Sure he was a bit tired, but he was, after all 34 years old and in motorhome years that's an eternity. I feel certain he'll be happy in retirement, he'll have a nice permanent home on 23 acres of land in northern New Mexico where a pleasant young man will be living in him and I 'm sure will develop the same affection I felt.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

goodbyes are such bittersweet things. Hope to make it down during the week before you go.
-Joe